Our School

AN ARCHIVAL HISTORY OF 

HURSTVILLE BOYS’ HIGH SCHOOL

FROM 1973     

 
School Motto:  Guard the Good. This means that the Griffin is guarding all that is good (our school, our students, the knowledge taught)

School Crest:  The Griffin. The Griffin is holding the book of knowledge. The Griffin is half Lion, half Eagle. In the Middle East and China a lion motif is used to guard treasure, people, money etc. In Europe and Asia motif is a symbol of power and freedom.

We have combined both of these in our Griffin to show the strength and courage of the Lion and the ability of the Eagle to soar and have vision and freedom.

Badge and motto development: 1929-1957. The letters on the badge derived from CENTRAL TECHNICAL SCHOOL and in turn the letters led to the motto: Thought! Courage! Success! 

Name development

1850’s- Public School, Gannon’s Forest                          (primary)

 1891- Hurstville superior Public school                           (classes to Yr 8)

1928- Hurstville Junior Tech and Trades school              (classes to Yr 8)  

1929- Hurstville central Technical School                        (classes to Yr 9)

1957- Hurstville Boys’ High School                                  (classes to Yr 12)  

Newly opened LEWIS Block, 1929: Mr. George Lewis was the first principle in 1929 and the main building, the Lewis Block, is named after him. Hurstville Boys’ High School traces its history back to the first public school in the district, a one teacher slab and bark hut located opposite Butlers Road in the 1850’s. This school moved to new, comparatively palatial premises in the timber built St George Church of England (which stood on the site of the present church). In those times it was fairly common practice to conduct public day schools in church buildings.

Schooling continued in the church until 1875 when a building was erected at Forest Road opposite the Blue Post Inn. A Mr. Lappin was given charge of the school and its 30 pupils.

As the area developed, a new building was erected in 1891. This building, with its distinctive bell tower, is still used today. By 1928 the school was the largest in the State, with a student population of more than 2500. New buildings were added to cope with the increase. At this time, 681 boys and 401 girls were in classes above sixth class. Hurstville Boys’ High School marks its birthday as 1928, when the senior boys classes were located in a collection of wooden portables.One of these portables is standing in the school grounds. During that same year the present main building was commenced.In May 1929, it was officially opened as the junior technical high school and trades school. The following year the school was changed to Hurstville central technical school. It carried that name until 1929, it became Hurstville Boys High School.

In 1929 the main building of Hurstville boys’ high school was open officially by then the education minister, Mr. Drummond, and was known as known as Hurstville central technical school with 530 pupils and 21 staff. The motto at that time ‘Thought, Courage, Success’.

One of the original teachers was Mr. Percy Frank, whose services to the school extended over 50 years. There is a memorial garden dedicated to Mr. Franks in the school grounds.

The main school building facing the school oval has a classical entrance portico supported by 12 Doric columns and a magnificent mosaic floor featuring ‘The Griffin’, the school emblem. Adjacent to the entrance we have an imposing statue of ‘The Boxer’ which is sculptured in Italian marble.

In February, 1983 there was a major fire at the school which caused great devastation in the main building and administration area suffered over $475,000.00 damage. Repairs were still being carried out 18 months later. 

Ex-Students:

His Excellency Professor Gordon REID                         Governor of Western Australia

Sir Jack BRABHAM                                                    Car designer and racing driver.

The Hon (Senator) A. GIETZELT                                   Awarded Order of Australia medal

Mr. Ray   GIETZELT                                                    Federal Secretary, Miscellaneous Workers’ Union, A.C.T.U. Board, QANTAS

Mr. John DIXON, O.B.E.                                              National President, Metal Trades’ Industry of Australian Electricity and Education Commission

Hon. Gary PUNCH, M.P.                                              Minister for Defence, Science.

Matthew DYER                                                          Associate Professor of Mathematics, Notre Dame University, U.S.A

Mr. John BROMWICH                                                  Australian Davis Cup representative

Mr. Allan WOOD                                                         Australian Olympic swimmer.  

Parents and Citizen’s Association and Volunteers.

In 1957 a Parents and Citizens’ Association was formed. Mr. John Dixon, O.B.E., a former pupil of the school, became its first President and continued in the Association for 23 years.

P & C. provide funds for the purpose of equipment for the school and are the source of volunteers in activities to benefit the school in many ways. 

To the P & C and to parents who provide voluntary help in our school canteen we give out heartfelt thanks.

 

School Growth.

By 1957 the enrolment at the school, built in 1928 to accommodate 530 pupils, has grown to 1150 and was literally bursting at the seams. 

In the ensuing years, a number of buildings, together with a playing field, were added. All buildings have been named as a tribute to 

school identities as follows;  

LEWIS BUILDING (‘A’ Block)                           First Principal, MR. G.A. Lewis from 1929-1940. Awarded Kings Jubilee Medal in 1935 for services to the State.

MUSGRAVE BLOCK (‘B’ Block)                         Former Principal, Mr. H. Musgrave, 1941-1956, with commencementof 4th and 5th Years.

STEPHENS BLOCK (‘C’ Block)                            After Mr. A. W. Stephens, then Director of Secondary Education- former Prefect of Maitland High School.

DIXON BLOCK (‘D’ Block)                                      Mr. John Dixon, student of 1929 and President of P & C for 23 years. 

                                                                             Patron of Hurstville Boys’ High School

A.J CLARK CENTRE (Bini)                                    Former Principal, Mr. A.J. Clark. Bini Dome was opened by Mr. Neville Wran.

OUR OVAL                                                            Opened in 1960 and named after Mr. R.D. Thomas who was a former Principal.  

Ex Students.

Over the years, ex-students have served with distinction in every field of endeavour- industry, commerce, academia (including aUniversity Vice-Chancellor), all the professions, International sportsmen, all levels of government ranging form Cabinet Ministers to Mayors of Municipalities and even a State Governor. Form Hurstville Boys’ High School have come thousands of worthy citizens who, as skilled tradesmen, Businessmen and professionals, have become part of the backbone of the nation.

The Honour Roll of the school also proudly bears the names of the boys who defended their country in time of war and those who gave their lives are not forgotten but proudly remembered.

Principals of Hurstville Boys’ High School.

Mr. G. Lewis                  1929-1940

Mr. H. Musgrave            1941-1956

Mr. R.D. Thomas             1957-1968

Mr. V. Lynch                    1969-1971

Mr. A.J. Clack                  1972-1979

Mr. J.W. Carney               1980-1984

Mr. D.R. Napper                1985-1987

Mr. B. Goodman                1986-1991

Mr. R. Ramsey                  1992-  

Entrance Mosaic.

At the main entrance to the school is the H.B.H.S. tiled mosaic which is made from glazed ceramic tiles in the pattern of the school emblem,the Griffin. Mr. Norm Hilliard, an ex-student, hand made each individual tile (all 3,500 of them) in seven colours to fill a two-metre circle.

Mr. David Trewartha. For 15 years, Hurstville Boys’ High School was fortunate to have the service of Mr. David Trewartha in the capacity of Treasurer of the Parents and Citizens’ Association and managing the books if account for the Canteen.

Mr. Trewartha continued on in this honorary position even after his son, Peter, completed his education at this school. His wife, Margaret, assisted in our canteen for many years as a volunteer. We thank Mr. Trewartha most sincerely for his dedication to the school.

Debating Zone Champions, 1993, Hume Barbour, E.S.U

Multi-cultural Day, 1994 was an extravaganza for the school community with folk song and dance, international food stalls, displays of work,tree planting and camel rides, which concluded with a soccer match between the students and parents.

Australia Red Cross Society, New South Wales Division.

On Saturday, 14th to Sunday, 22nd March, sixty of our students volunteered to work on the 1992 Red Cross Door Knock Appeal. The boys collected $1700 form the Hurstville community with four boys collecting over a hundred dollars each. It was a leasing result in these stringent of times and reflects the strong community spirit of the school.  

Commonwealth Bank Cup Soccer Victory, 1990.

The winning team consisted of: Mark Babic, Jim Fengitis, Elvis Mircevski, Mirko Jurilj, Stuart Wenham, Jim Kapsalis, Vancho Janevski, John Sklias, Tony Franov, Greg Gregoriou, Nick Kartambis, Michael Velovski, Peter Lesko, Robert Babaic, Nunzio LoCastro and George Konidaris.  

His Excellency, Professor Gordon Reid, A.C., former Governor of Western Australia.

Gordon REID attended this school (which was then known as Hurstville Central Technical School) from 1934-37. He was in the sameyears as Sir Jack Brabham. After leaving school he sat for and passed the Public Service Examination. War service followed in which he was a member of ‘The Pathfinders’.

After World War II he worked as an Accounts and Reading Clerk in Parliament House, Canberra, studying for his Bachelors degree in Commerce at night. Gordon Reid then traveled to England where he obtained his Master’s Degree and his Doctor of Philosophy degree at the London School of Economics, receiving the Hutchinson Medal for an outstanding thesis. He has been granted various awards, included the Nuffield Scholarship, and in 1986 was awarded- ‘Companion of Australia’. He has lectures at Adelaide University and Perth University and was eventually Professor of Political Science and Deputy Vice Chancellor of Perth University. Since 1983, Professor Gordon Reid had held the office of Governor of Western Australia. We congratulate Professor Gordon Reid on his scholastic achievements, his well-deserved high office, and his success as a husband, as father of four children and as a famous ‘old boy’ of Hurstville Boys’ High School.  

The Boxer Statue.

Our 2.5 metre statue of Carrara marble, set in the grounds in proximity to the school entrance, is ‘The Boxer’, Damascenes of Syracuse, and was one of a pair purchased from Italy. It was originally placed in Centennial Park entrance but later donated to Hurstville Boys’ High School by N.S.W. State Government. Former Principal, Mr. A.J. Clark, was responsible for all research, the acquisition and installation of the statue.  

Avenue of Trees.

Originally the entrance to Hurstville Boys’ High School was from Forest Road. The avenue of trees along the driveway entrance to the school was the work of ex-teacher, Percy Franks, who taught at the school for 60 years. His pupils were responsible for the planting of the trees, some of which are now over 40 feet tall.  

Bini Dome (A.J. Clark Centre).

The A.J. Clark Centre (Bini Dome) is the school’s assembly hall which is also used for basketball, assemblies, concerts etc. and wasnamed after former Principal, MR, A.J. Clark (1972-1979) who was responsible for many improvements to the school including the Bini Dome, the gardens, brick pathways, gardens, mosaic and statue.  

International Garden.

Planted in 1994, the International Garden of Trees represents our boys of diverse backgrounds, growing tall together and contributing to one beautiful Australia of the future.

Percy Franks’ Memorial Garden was named after Percy Franks who was a teacher from 1923-1973 and a member of our first teaching staff.  

The School Song

Hurstville High School students, with lifter voice proclaim

The glories of our school with its far-reaching fame.

First Year of Fifth Year, our spirit’s still the same

Whatever field we traverse, we will ever play the game.

Chorus:

Play the game, Hurstville, come what may,

Though the stumps are flying or the kick has gone astray

Victor or vanquished, we glory in the strife

For when schooling’s over, there’s the big game- LIFE!

Sport and academics, with science, crafts and art

The future’s full of promise, if we only play our part.

Building tradition with problem, book or rule

Honour is our watchword, Hurstville High is our School.

Chorus:  

The War Cry.

Illa-warra! Illa-warra!

Illa-warra! Hurstville. Illa-warra!

We are, we are, can you guess?

We are the boys of the B.H.S

Illa-warra! Illa-warra!

Illa-warra! Hurstville.

Illa-warra-ah-h-h!  

The School Motto

Incorporated in the school badge is the motto ‘Thought, Courage, Success’,

English  As A Second Language

The students at Hurstville Boy's High School are fortunate in they can experience first hand the changing face of Australia. Our country is a Multi-cultural  country rich in a variety of language backgrounds and cultures. To fit in with this Hurstville Boys' High is a school whose students come from many different language backgrounds. The four major language backgrounds of the students are: Greek, Macedonian, Arabic and Chinese, but we also have students form a wide variety of language groups such as: Croation, Vietnamese, Tagalog (Filipino) and Spanish. The challenge for teachers is to help make the transition from students' first language to English as smooth as possible and to be aware of the many different cultural backgrounds that exist in the school. The challenge for E.S.L. teachers is to assist students form a non-English Speaking Background in learning English across the subject areas sot hat they can become an effective part of school and the wider community.  

The Role of the School Counsellor.

School Counsellors are qualified teachers who have completed a degree majoring in psychology and at least a further year's training or a higher degree in counselling and assessment of pupils. The Counsellor normally works with children from Kindergarten through to senior students.

Students experiencing difficulties with school work, peer and family relationships or emotional problems affecting self-esteem,concentration and performance may refer themselves  directly to the  Counsellor or be referred by parents or teachers. Referrals may be by simply asking the Counsellor, by writing a note, or by telephoning the Bursar's Office and asking for an appointment.  

Cadet Unit. The Hurstville Boys' High School Cadet Unit operated for a period of 15 years from 1961 to 1976, after which funding for school cadet units were teminated by the Commonwealth Government.

During its life the unit was a proud part of school life and gave special dignity and colour to important school functions.  

Karate Boys Strike Their Yellow Grade. Five students from Hurstville Boys' High School recieved their yellow belts after taking part in the school Sekiryukan Karate club's first gradings.

Paul Chiu of Year 12, Wojtek Bagadzinski and Steven Evans of Year 9 and Trajche Cvetanovski and Billy Nedelkovski of Year 8 are members of the high school Karate club formed at the beginning of the year. They were placed by the founders of Sosuishiryu Martial Arts in Australia, Senseis Pat Harrington and Betty Huxley, who were assisted by Shane Chapman and Michael Grieve.

Sensei Pat Harrington has a 6th Dan, Kudokan Judo and Menkyo Kaiden in Bu-jutsu which makes her the highest graded Caucasian woman in the world in this school of karate. Gradings were all above 90 per cent with the highest mark awarded going to Trajche Cvetanovski, who received 98 per cent. Principal, Bob Ramsey, gave permission for the formation of the club as part of the school sports program.  

Honorary Prefects.

Mr. Percy Franks, 1923 teacher.

Mr. John Dixon, O.B.E., School Patron

Sir John Brabham, ex student

Mr. Norm Hilliard, Griffin Mosaic creator at front entrance

Mr. David Trewartha, P. & C. Treasurer

Mr. Edward Kingston, ex student.

Students in Year 10 and 11 at Hurstville Boys’ High School taught Greek to pupils in Year 3 at the local primary school in 1994.

Mr. R.J. Ramsey, Principal, 1992- ?  

Year 8 Japanese language students at Hurstville Boys’ High School in Hurstville, Australia, made more than 2,000 paper origami cranes to send to the Peace Park in Hiroshima, The world’s first A- bombed city in western Japan, as a gesture of friendship and world peace. Hurstville Boys’ High School Principal, Bob Ramsey and Japanese Language teacher, Stephanie Moses, were pictured with the students and their festoons of origami cranes. According to Mr. Ramsey, the school has been receiving copies of Pacific Friend for many years and they have found its articles and photographs most impressive and helpful to their students.